An extra source of income can literally change lives. Earning some money on the side means that we can afford what we want when we want it, or that we never again have to worry about paying our bills.
In some cases, you may even find that the secondary source of income can be turned into your main one, and you will essentially be able to quit your day job in order to focus on earning more. If you want 2018 to be the best year of your life, then you should look at ways to earn some extra money.
This guide will be useful to anyone who wants to earn something extra in order to travel, to buy expensive items, to pay debts or you generally have more money to spend on small things.
If you learn how to properly earn extra money, then you will be able to:
• Pay off any debts that you may have;
• Save money and go on an expensive vacation, or buy something that you’ve always wanted;
• Never live from paycheck to paycheck ever again;
• Retire sooner than you normally would;
• Not feel tied to your day job anymore;
• Have more income sources, and as a result, more financial stability;
You may only have one free hour each day and get a new laptop, or you may be willing to work a few more hours every week, on top of what the time that you spend at work in order to buy the car that you’ve always wanted. Either way, there are a lot of options that you can choose from in terms of earning some extra money.
You can make money in 2018 by learning how to monetize your blog, building a side business, selling things that you no longer need, finding a part-time job, and more.
This having been said, here are 65 ways that you can earn some extra money in 2018:
Learning to make money online
It is now relatively easy to earn money online, and there are quite a few legitimate online careers that you can start building as a secondary occupation and then turn into your primary one. Earning a living online can free you from a lot of things. You can work from pretty much anywhere in the world, even from the comfort of your own home, and it requires a minimal investment.
1. You can start ad build a successful blog: This is one of the easiest ways to earn money online. A lot of people earn a living from blogging and if you work hard and are consistent, you can earn up to $100,000 per month, from this job alone. There are a lot of great platforms that you can use in order to create your blog, and there are also several well-written guides that will walk you through the whole process, from making the account itself, to what kind of content you should post in order to have a large, loyal audience. Furthermore, you don’t need a lot of money to make this happen. You can create a free casual blog or a more professional looking one for only $2,95.
2. You can create an online course and teach others: Everyone has something to teach others. We all have our fortes and most of the times, these are skills that can be taught. Think about what you are good at and others would be interested in learning, and then create an online course which will bring you money. You can look at platforms such as Teachable.com in order to get started.
3. Help others make better resumes for themselves: While it may seem odd, there are a lot of people who earn quite of bit of money by helping others make proper resumes for the jobs they want. If you are constantly reviewing resumes at work or for friends, and have noticed mistakes that others usually make, then you can earn money by helping others.
4. Consider answering surveys: There is a large number of legitimate companies such as American Consumer Opinion, Swagbucks, Survey Junkie, Clear Voice Surveys, VIP Voice, and others who pay individuals in order to participate in various surveys. The best part about these is that it is completely free to join, and once you start earning money, you will be able to transfer it to your PayPal, bank account, or turn it into various prizes or coupons. If you want to try your hand at this, it is recommended to sign up for as many of these services as you can, in order to earn money from all of them.
5. You can create an ebook: Most people have given up reading books, however, ebooks are growing in popularity. Also, they are much easier to publish and to earn money from, when compared to the traditional ones. There are more than a few websites that allow you to write an ebook and publish it on their platform, for free. Once you’ve done this, you will earn up to 70% in royalties. If you write several books, then your profits will grow, giving you time to write a few more, and so on. You could essentially earn $100,000 per year or more from ebook sales.
6. Earn money from editing content: You can earn quite a bit of money by editing content for various websites, books, ebooks, courses, blogs, and more. Most content outlets constantly require editors due to the fact that no matter how many times someone revises a piece of content, there is still the possibility that he or she will miss a mistake. This is a good secondary source of money that doesn’t require that you make a lot of effort.
7. Earn money by managing others’ social media accounts: Yes, social media manager is a real thing. Not everyone is suited for this job, as you do require some experience and various social media skills, however, if you have these, you can earn quite a bit of money. But please keep in mind that being a social media manager does not mean that you simply have to randomly share content. You have to know how, when and where to share it in order to maximize its effectiveness and to hit your target audience.
8. Start using Swagbucks as your default search engine: Swagbucks essentially pays you by using it the same way you would use Google. You do not have to do anything else, just search for various things. In time, you will earn points called Swagbucks which you can then turn in and redeem gift cards, prizes, cash, and other items.
9. Earn a living by proofreading: You can earn up to $50,000 by working as a freelance proofreader, and you can do this from anywhere in the world, even when you are on the road. You will usually find work opportunities quite fast, and most pay pretty well.
10. Post ads on social media to earn money: You can earn money by using your social media accounts. Many companies will pay you in order to post ads on Facebook and Twitter. Even if you only have personal accounts, you will still be able to earn some extra money.
11. Make a living as a freelance writer: Freelance writers are individuals who write for several different clients(blogs, magazines, websites, etc.) and are paid for it. You won’t have to work for a specific company, but you have the freedom to choose the ones you want to write for, and you will be paid per project, per word, or per hour. Freelance writing will give you the opportunity to work for yourself.
12. Become a forum moderator: There are online forums which are willing to pay people to moderate their message boards. If you spend a lot of time on a forum, consider sending them a message and see if they are hiring.
13. Earn money by testing websites: Somewhat new, you can now earn money from home, by navigating various websites in order to see if they do what they are supposed to. Some websites will pay you $10 for each website that you test. It is important to remember that you do not need any technical experience in order to work in this field. You just need a laptop, a desktop computer, or a tablet and an internet connection. Most companies want real genuine users to review their websites, not professionals.
14. Write transcripts: You can become a transcriptionist and earn money. You do not need any kind of qualification, only a lot of patience. This is another job that you can do from home and is not extremely taxing.
15. Consider becoming a virtual assistant: Virtual assistants are in high demand nowadays. Their job is to manage social media accounts, format and edit blog posts, schedule appointments, make travel plans, manage email inboxes and more. In other words, you will be paid to do what a regular assistant would do, with the exception that you do not have to leave your home. The tasks that you will have depend on the employer, but most of the time you will have to do anything needed in order to help run a business. This job does pay a lot if you work hard, but it requires you to be organized.
16. Work as a bookkeeper: Bookkeeping is another great way to earn some money on the side. Most people think that you have to be an accountant in order to work as a bookkeeper, but anyone can do it. You just have to know how things work and to have a bit of personal experience (to have taken care of your own finances).
Create a side business to make more money
You can also earn some extra money by creating a side business that you may, at one point, turn into a full-time career.
17. Consider becoming a driver for Uber or Lyft: if you’re the kind of person who drives around a lot, then you may want to also make some extra money. By becoming a driver for one of these two companies, you will essentially earn money by driving others around.
18. You can start selling things on Amazon: A good way to make some extra money is to start your own Amazon FBA business and start selling products. There is a lot of potential in this strategy, and if you put as little as 20 hours per week when you’re starting up, you will earn a decent amount of money. Furthermore, if you work hard, you will be able to turn your business into your main source of income, as well as into your main job. You can work from home and sell things on Amazon does not require a large investment.
19. Earn money by cleaning and maintaining yards: Many people are too busy to take care of their own yards, and you can earn a bit of money by mowing lawns, removing weeds, cleaning gutters, raking leaves, and anything else that needs to be done in order to make a yard look great.
20. House sit: Another job that is becoming increasingly popular is house sitting. While it is true that you will not earn a lot of money, there are other perks to this job. Most of the time you will be required to stay in vacation houses or beautiful homes. Also, most of the time, you will only have to water the plants, watch the house, and to do other simple chores around the house. If you want a change of scenery and to also earn some money on the side, then this is a great choice.
21. Walk dogs or pet sit: Those who love animals may not even consider this one a job. You can earn some extra money by walking dogs and taking care of animals while their owners are away. Most of the time, you will only have to visit the owner’s home a few times per day in order to make sure that their pets have everything they need. However, there will also be cases in which you will have to spend time at their house or to keep the animals at in your home for a few days. If you don’t know where to start, then Rover is a great company for those new to this line of work. But you will also find a lot of opportunities online if you spend a few minutes looking around.
22. Earn money by grooming pets: Another way for animal lovers to earn some easy money, you can create a mobile pet grooming business and go to the pets, rather than asking the owners to come to you. This eliminates the need for a permanent business location, and will also make your services more accessible to owners.
23. Scoop poop: While this is not fun in any way, it can be an additional source of income. If you don’t mind cleaning after animals, then you should keep this one on your radar.
24. Make some extra cash by shoveling snow: Some may remember this from when they were little. If you live in an area where it snows during the winter, then you can earn money by going from house to house, around the neighborhood and shovel snow. If you want to turn it into a bigger source of income, you can even buy a snowplow and market your services around town.
25. Babysit and take care of children: you can earn up to $15 an hour by babysitting children for neighbors. If you do this for let’s say 40 hours a week, then you’ve got yourself a nice extra source of income, and you won’t have to do anything that you wouldn’t do at home, in addition to taking care of the children. Some people may also ask you to clean the house or pay extra if you can teach their children to speak another language. You don’t need any qualifications and there the demand for babysitters is always high.
26. Fix things around the house for other people: if you know your way around a toolbox and can repair a few basic things, then you can market your services and earn some extra money. You can use Craigslist and post advertisements in order to let others know what you can do, or rely on word of mouth. Either way, there is little chance that you won’t find work.
27. Make money by cleaning homes: Most people do not have the patience or the stomach to clean their own homes, but they are willing to pay others to do it in their place. If you’re good at cleaning and you move fast, then you can earn about $20 per hour or more, depending on the neighborhood.
28. Move furniture: Just like the previous one, this is a chore that people generally dislike, but are willing to pay others to do it. You can earn various amounts of money by working as a mover, and if you own your own business, you can make $50 per hour.
29. Become a photographer and sell your services: If you have an artist’s eye, then you can earn a living by becoming a wedding or event photographer. With a little work you may even land a job at a newspaper or magazine, and if you ever want to try your luck, you will be able to show your work at a gallery and sell your pictures.
30. Become a tutor: If you’re good at a particular subject, then you can tutor people, help them with their homework, or even teach them a language. This gives you a chance to monetize your knowledge and skills.
Find a part-time job and earn some extra money
Those interested in earning some extra money, also have the option to find a part-time job. It is not hard to find a part-time job nowadays, and most of these will easily allow you to work around the schedule from your full-time job. There are several great places where you can start looking for these jobs, such as Craigslist, Snagajob, Monster, and others.
Here are some of the jobs that you could take on in order to make some extra cash, without having to do something that is so demanding that cuts into your full-time one:
31. Consider delivering RVs to dealerships: RVs are extremely popular, and most of the time, people cannot move them using semi-trucks as a result of their size. As a result of this difficulty, companies constantly need people to drive them back to dealerships. While people don’t actively consider this line of work, if you look around, you are bound to see people with this job. Furthermore, most of them are happy due to the fact that they have the opportunity to travel and earn quite a bit of money, and also use beautiful, expensive RVs. In order to pick up this job, you should contact your local transport companies, RV manufacturers and dealerships, and other businesses that fall into this category.
32. Look for a part-time summer job: Most people find that getting a second job during the summer is easier than doing so during other seasons. There are many options in terms of part-time summer jobs, and most of them pay well:
• Bartender – Depending on how much you want to earn, and where you find work, you may or may not need previous experience. However, having previously worked as a bartender will guarantee that you will find a job easier and that it will pay better. The best part about choosing this way to earn some extra money is that you can easily fit it into your normal work schedule.
• Find a job at a restaurant nearby – There are many things that you can do in a restaurant, from hosting and waiting tables, to cleaning and cooking. This line of work is also likely to open future opportunities, as you have the change to advance through the “ranks”.
• Become a substitute teacher and earn some cash – If you have the ability, then you should consider getting a job as a part-time substitute teacher. While it may be difficult to organize your schedule, doing a good job will help you secure a long-term position.
• Get a job at a hotel, hostel, or motel. You should be able to easily find a job working at one of these places as they usually nee more employees during the summer season.
• Get hired at a retail store – Working at one of these retail stores not only gives you a way to earn some extra cash but provides other advantages as well. The best part is that many stores offer great discounts for all of its employees, so, on one hand, you’ll earn more money, and on the other, you will have a way to buy cheaper things.
• Lifeguard – If you know how to swim, then you can easily get a job at a community or private pool.
• Earn money by delivering newspapers – Early birds can earn money by delivering newspapers each day. The good part about this one is that you’ll be finished by noon, so you can do whatever you want for the rest of the day.
• Run errands for other people – You can earn money by working as someone’s assistant. You will essentially have to do things like buying various objects, do laundry, clean houses, pick up groceries, etc.
Sell the things that you’re bored with and make money
Another great way to earn money is to sell all the things that you no longer need or like. Doing so requires very little effort and can bring you quite a bit of money, depending on what and where you intend to sell.
33. Sell things on Decluttr. You can sell things like old cell phones, CDs and DVDs, DVD players, old game consoles, and other things, and make some money on the side. Doing so will not only allow you to earn some money on the side, but you will also have more space for new things.
34. Consider selling blood, plasma, eggs, etc. people can make quite a bit of money through selling these things, however, some require more difficult and time-consuming procedures than others. For example, women who donate their eggs can earn up to $10,000, but doing so requires several doctor visits, as well as a medical procedure.
35. Sell items on eBay. You can easily make money on eBay, by selling the old things that you no longer need. You can get rid of old clothes, electronics, collectibles, vehicles, computer games, movies, and other items. Those who aren’t located near a large market will find this strategy extremely useful.
36. Make money by selling items on Craigslist. Craigslist is another great place to sell items that you no longer need, and many times you may be able to earn a higher value for them if you’re smart. As a word of warning, you should always be cautious when selling something as it requires meeting people who are complete strangers.
37. Sell items to secondhand stores. If you have a lot of used things, that still retain their functionality, then you can sell them to secondhand stores. While it is easiest to sell clothes and shoes, you may also find places that buy old electronics and even furniture. This having been said, be smart about where you sell your things and do some research in order to maximize your profits. Don’t just sell them to the first store that offers to buy.
38. Make things and sell them on Etsy. For those who don’t know, Etsy is a great platform to sell handmade, vintage or crafting items on. If you are a DIY kind of person, then you can spend your free time making various objects and selling them on Etsy.
39. Sell old books and earn some extra cash. While most will know the fact that old textbooks can fetch a bit of money, there are many old books that can be sold for extra cash. In some cases, you may even find that you have a rare book that is worth a lot of money to collectors. Look at sites like Half.com for regular books, and at university stores for buyback offers for old textbooks.
40. Sell gift cards. If you happen to have any gift cards that you don’t need, lying around, you can sell them and make some extra money. While you may be able to sell them directly to someone, there are also websites that will pay cash for any gift cards that you are willing to sell.
41. Organize garage sales. Another way to sell the things that you no longer need is to organize a garage sale. These are great due to the fact that everyone knows to come to you. The disadvantage is that you may make less money than you would by selling those things online.
Earn more money from the jobs that you already have
If the idea of finding another job or another source of income does not appeal to you, then you may be pleased to know that there are a few ways through which you can increase the amount of money that you make from your current job.
42. Consider asking for a raise. There are moments when the only thing standing between you and some extra money is the fear of trying to get a raise. Nobody will fire you for asking, and if you get it, you will be able to make more money without having work extra hours.
43. Fight for a promotion. Those who are not able to get a raise may qualify for a promotion. Work hard and try to make your superiors notice you. This will pave the way for your promotion.
44. Earn bonuses. Various industries and companies offer bonuses for employees that go the extra mile at work.
45. Earn more money by working overtime. Find out if your company is willing to pay you for overtime. Working like this is great because you get paid for your time, and you can call it quits when you feel too tired and need some rest.
Interesting ways of earning some extra money in 2018
If you’ve read all of the above and still haven’t found something that you like, then you may find something interesting here. The categories above contain traditional ways of making money, however, these are not the only ones available to you.
46. Earn money by cuddling with strangers. You can earn up to 300-400 dollars by cuddling with strangers. There are a few companies that will pay you to do this, and the practice grows in popularity with each passing year. Look around and you are bound to find one of these near you.
47. Advertise products using your car, your house, or your body. Turning your car into a mobile ad for various companies is not something new, however, there are companies that will even pay you to have their logo tattooed on your body, as a form of advertisement. You can do the same thing using your house, and the great part is that you don’t have to actively do anything.
48. Earn money by working as an extra on a TV show or movie. If you ever hear that a TV show or movie is being filmed in your area, then you may want to check to see if they are hiring extras for any of the scenes. Jobs of these type are quite simple and pay well.
49. Invest money. You can take a chance and invest some of your money in order to make more. The risk of this strategy can be lowered by finding a good investing platform, such as Motif.
50. Sell breast milk. While it may sound a bit strange, women can earn money by selling their breast milk. Once sold, the liquid will be used to feed other babies or other individuals who need to boost their immune systems. You can earn up to $4 per ounce if you find the right buyer.
51. Find ways to earn bonuses or rewards when paying for things with a credit card. There are many banks which offer credit cards that come with cashback for using them. If you regularly use one in order to pay for various things, then you will be able to earn back some of the money that you spend, in the form of cash, gift cards, prizes, etc.
52. Earn money by participating in medical trials and studies. There are many companies which are constantly looking for people to participate in all kinds of studies. While different studies require different people, if you find a program that you qualify for, you will be able to earn a lot of money. To get started, you should take a look on Craigslist, and also ask at local universities or pharmaceutic companies. This having been said, keep in mind that some of these studies may require you to use various medication that may prove detrimental to your health, to a degree.
53. Shop online using Ebates. This may be the easiest way to earn money while shopping online. This cashback site will enable you to earn cash back, gift cards, and prizes, for various items that you buy online. Using it won’t cost you anything, and the process of earning money is quite simple. You will have to shop through the links that they provide (you will still be able to use any gift cards that you have), in order to track your orders and get some of the money that you spend, back to you. In essence, you will earn money by shopping online like you normally would.
54. Participate in contests and giveaways in order to earn free items. While it is true that participating in a contest does not guarantee that you will win anything, doing so is also free. Look for contests to participate in and you may earn cash, gift cards, vacations, and other things. The key to tipping the scales in your favor is to sing up to as many as possible.
55. Earn money by working as a mystery shopper. Many companies are willing to pay people in order to mystery shop. You will basically be paid to buy things that you normally would, or to eat at restaurants and then to answer various questions about the service and state of the products. You can start mystery shopping by using a website like Bestmark. Always look for legitimate companies in order to ensure that you will be paid once you do your part, so it is best to do some research before signing up.
56. Start using InboxDollars to earn various rewards. The website is a great way to make some extra money by doing various, simple things. You can earn money by taking surveys, playing games, shopping online, or by simply surfing the web using their search engine. Furthermore, you can use the website in order to redeem grocery coupons. This is a great way to earn money by doing things that you regularly do.
57. Be an au pair and travel the world. Travel as someone’s pair and get to see the whole world without having to spend too much money. It’s easy and you can use the opportunity to do other things that would make you money, such as starting a travel blog.
58. Earn various rewards using your Fitbit. If you connect your Fitbit to Achievemint or Walgreens Balance Rewards, then you will be able to earn money, gift cards, points, and prizes. If you have one of these bracelets and use it regularly, then why not also make money through it.
An extra source of income can literally change lives. Earning some money on the side means that we can afford what we want when we want it, or that we never again have to worry about paying our bills.